My neighbors left their 11 and 12 year old sons unsupervised to do their fireworks the past few nights. The following mornings, there were heaps of trash in front of their driveway, which was cleaned up at some point during the day. But what wasn’t cleaned up was all the projectile trash from those fireworks which landed in my front yard, driveway and bushes.
What’s a girl to do? Here are my options that I see:
1. Either I knock on their door and ask them if they wouldn’t mind cleaning up my yard after their sons do fireworks;
2. I call the sheriff or neighborhood association to register a complaint; or
3. I attempt, as one citizen, to try to get more strict enforcement of something that is already prohibited in this area.
4. I do nothing.
Let’s look at all of these, briefly:
1. Here, I look like the bad guy, the killjoy, and possibly might ruin my harmonious neighborly relationship by confronting these people.
2. Been there, done that. Nobody does anything or claims there is anything anybody can do because “everybody is doing it”. Who is everybody, anyway? I only see these people doing it in my neighborhood. Are there more people doing it than not doing it? I don’t think so. I got nowhere with this one, either with the association or the sheriff.
3. I have not done this one. It will take time and there are no guarantees that my efforts will result in more peace and safety for all residents of my community. I am willing to try this, though.
4. I have been doing nothing for almost 10 years. What has happened? The same thing, every 4th of July and New Year’s Eve. And as these holidays approach each year, I dread them. I feel stuck. I plan to have a sleepless night. My frustration and stress level build every year, as does my resentment. What’s more scary to me is that as these boys are getting older, their antics become more daring.
What do you do to prevent stress from coming in to your life? How would you deal with this problem? Is there an alternative I did not mention that I need to hear about? I would really appreciate feedback on this one, before next 4th of July!!!